Tuesday 19 April 2016

A lazy day in DC

Not exactly Washington, really, as Paul and Jamie live in Maryland. But it’s in the DC metropolitan area.

They’ve already left for work when I drag my lazy arse out of bed. Thankfully without the vomiting and diarrhoea I had last time I stayed here. Not a pleasant experience, especially as I had to give a talk that day. Paul and Jamie didn’t poison me, I must point out. Golden Coral was to blame.

Jamie has left coffee and the keys. And explained yesterday how the code for the door works. Meaning I’m not trapped in the house all day. Jamie mentioned a breakfast place in the small strip mall down the road. I trundle down to the quaintly-named Donut King for the usual fry up. I do like a fried breakfast when on my hols.


I notice a couple of people walk by outside with bottles of whisky in their hands. Then I realise they’re also wearing green. It’s St. Patrick’s day. And that there’s a liquor store close by. I’ve been wondering how I’ll spend the afternoon.

Montgomery County Liquor Store is pretty big. A reasonable enough beer selection. I get a four-pack of some barrel-aged rye thing. Which will go nicely with the bottle of Michter's Rye Whiskey.

The afternoon drifts past in a medley of documentary channels and a slow whiskey warming. I haven’t relaxed as much in months. I realise I’m less stressed than before the trip. Then I was worrying about schedules and getting my Williamsburg talk finished. Now all that’s done, I’ve nothing to worry about. I’m not concerned about giving the talk. That’s the fun bit.


It’s quite a long drive down to Williamsburg. It’s after eleven when I check in to my hotel. Paul and Jamie are in another hotel this evening.

Bags dumped I try my luck at the bar. People are still sitting there with drinks, but they’ve stopped serving. Oh well. Guess I’ll have to make do with a final Michter’s.

I expect a busy day tomorrow. Be meeting lots of people, I’m sure.





Donut King
3727 University Blvd W,
Kensington, MD 20895.


Montgomery County Liquor Store
3733 University Blvd W,
Kensington, MD 20895.


No comments: