Monday 1 February 2010

Feeling lazy

There's something that's been worrying me for a while. It's not something that would concern most of the population, but it's been niggling away in the back of my mind for weeks. Between 1830 and 1880 was only barley malt allowed in British beer? Or were malts made from other grains also permitted?

I've seen references to other types of malt in this period. But you have to exercise great caution when looking at the 19th century. Untangling private and commercial brewing can be tricky. And, of course, the rukles were very different for private brewers.

Which gets me to the lazy bit. I know I should be more committed, but I really can't be arsed to go hunting down the text of the relevant piece of legislation. Not at the moment. I'm far too busy tracking down mentions of oats in WW II.

Do any of you fancy looking up the exact restrictions on ingredients 1830 to 1880 for me? Bit of a cheek, I know. But you get nothing if you don't ask, as my mum used to say.

3 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

How about the 1837 Malt Duties Act?

"every Maltster and Maker of Malt shall, on the same Day on which he shall steep any Corn or Grain to be made into Malt, and within Three Hours after any Corn or Grain shall have been covered with Water for the Purpose of wetting or steeping the same to be made into Malt, enter in such Book and in the proper Columns to be prepared for such Purposes respectively a true and particular Account of the Quantity in Bushels of the Corn or Grain so wetted or steeped"

Need more?

Ron Pattinson said...

Beer Nut, that's exactly what I was looking for. So any grain could be malted and used.

It makes sense. As the tax was on malt, why worry which grain was being used?

Alan said...

Not to go all "I have legal letters after my name" on you but what is a "corn" or "grain" mean in this context? Is there an implication or other legislation that would have defined that into a set of acceptable sprouting seeds that is not a broad as "any grain that could be malted".

In my experience on construing legislation - such as it is - when you have a wording like "A or B" there is likely a silent "C" that is being excluded. There is a phrase in Latin for this principle: noscitur a socicis. Aka the associated words rule.