Thursday 3 January 2008

US Imperial Stout

Masochist? You could call me that. I've found another American beer in my pile: Stone Imperial Stout.

Before I start, I'll say that I've had this one lying around for a while. At least six months. Does that sound like an apology? Or an excuse?

This one I really like. Not unequivocally - there's a slightly over-insistent hoppy finish - but I'm sparing with my love. Lots of liquorice, roast and coffee. Nicely melded.

"Limited Spring 2006 release" it says. I suspect once a lot more citrus was lurking in this brew. Maybe I should store my remaining bottle of Yeti for a couple of years. Until that horrible hop flavour has faded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stone use warrior in their Imperial Stout. From what I have read warrior is a newish high alpha hop said to be similar to nugget. So not a big 'C' hop but definitely a bitter one.

Ron Pattinson said...

Interesting. I found the bitterness a bit harsh still, even after getting on for two years in the bottle. Still definitely preferable to the ones I had with "c" hops.